It’s best to avoid public WiFi, but if you don’t have access to a secure U-M WiFi option or your secure home wireless network, you can use public WiFi more securely by following some basic guidelines.
Use a VPN
Secure Your Internet Connection includes best practices for securing your connection and helps you find the appropriate VPN for your campus.
- MiWorkspace Windows Users: Direct Access protects many connections to U-M resources for remote work, however the U-M VPN is required to connect to some resources. You should still use a VPN to secure personal connections.
- MiWorkspace Mac Users: Your Mac is configured to use the U-M VPN.
- Devices not managed by MiWorkspace: Getting Started with VPN provides more information on configuring VPN.
Be aware of what you share
Don’t overshare personal information when using public WiFi:
- Pay attention to the information required to set up free wireless access.
- Avoid conducting important personal business like banking or shopping on public networks.
- Don’t save a public network for automatic connection later.
See Security Tips for Using Public WiFi on Safe Computing for more tips and helpful resources.