Slack has announced a significant redesign to the organization and layout of workspaces, which will roll out to U-M Slack on November 14, 2023. This change will affect all versions of Slack across every desktop, mobile, and browser application. (You may have noticed the change in your other workspaces outside the University of Michigan!)
Some of the most notable updates include:
- New unified Home view: All channels, direct messages, and apps from every workspace you’re a member of are now viewable from one location. However, you can filter Home to view specific U-M workspaces and their content.
- Your profile and status have moved to the bottom left corner.
- New Create button for starting DMs, channels, huddles, and canvases.
- Notifications are organized into DMs, Activity, and Later in the far left pane.
- An updated experience for themes.
All of the features and functionality currently available to you will otherwise remain unchanged.
You can learn more about everything that’s changing in U-M Slack and check out both the U-M Slack FAQ page and Slack’s Help Center FAQ to get answers to common questions. It may also be a good time to review Slack’s updated Quick Start Guide, which details each section of the Slack interface.
If you have any questions about the Slack redesign, please contact the ITS Service Center.