Google has announced they will be transitioning Google+ over to an updated service called Google Currents. Starting on July 6, 2020, you will begin to lose access to Google+ and all existing communities will begin the transition to Currents. No action is required by you or your team.
Google Currents is a rebranding of Google+ with an updated interface and a set of new features. Currents offers a more streamlined experience to collaborate on and exchange ideas across the university. For more information, see Get started with Currents.
What should I expect?
- All users and existing Google+ content will be automatically transitioned to Currents.
- All existing links to plus.google.com will continue to work. These links will automatically be redirected to currents.google.com.
- The Google Currents Android and iOS apps will replace Google+’s mobile apps, which will no longer be supported. Within your Google+ app, you will be prompted to upgrade to the new Currents app to continue to use the service on mobile. If you have auto-update enabled on your phone, your app will be automatically upgraded to Currents.
- In the days prior to the transition, you may see a banner in Google+ notifying you of the launch of Google Currents. The banner will also include links to relevant G Suite Help Center articles.
- There will be no option to revert back to Google+.
According to Google, this transition will begin on July 6, 2020, and could take 5 days or longer to complete.