In 2017, Google announced Hangouts Chat and Hangouts Meet for team communication. Later this year, Google will transition classic Hangouts to Chat and Meet on the UMICH domain. As a first step, some changes are coming on April 16, 2019.
Key dates to note:
- Starting April 16, 2019 – Chat will begin to gradually roll out to U-M Google accounts on the web and mobile apps. You can continue using classic Hangouts in Gmail, mobile, web, and the Chrome extension. See Chat and classic Hangout interoperability.
- Between April and September 2019 – Features from classic Hangouts will come to Chat, such as:
- Integration with Gmail
- Chatting with external users
- An improved video calling experience
- October 2019 – Google will start to gradually retire classic Hangouts. To prepare for the transition from classic Hangouts to Chat, review Google’s documentation.