Whether you are planning a vacation or professional trip, you will likely take along a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or other mobile device. Follow these tips to safeguard both your own and the university’s data.
Before you travel
- Consider taking a device you only use for travel.
- Securely back up data stored on your device(s) or media.
- Prepare for limited internet access by downloading materials for offline use.
- If you are traveling internationally, register your travel at the U-M Travel Registry.
During your trip
- Use a secure internet connection, such as the U-M or Michigan Medicine VPN.
- Avoid internet cafes and untrusted networks.
- Avoid plugging USB-powered devices into public charging stations.
When you return
- Change your UMICH (Level-1) password immediately upon your return.
- Scan your device for malware and viruses.
- Consider wiping your device (depending on where your travels took you).
Visit the Safe Computing website for more information and links to helpful resources.