Whether you are planning a vacation or professional trip, you will likely take along smartphone, tablet, laptop, or other mobile device. Follow these tips to safeguard both your own—and the university’s—data.
Before you travel
- Decide whether or not you need all your devices. If you don’t need it, leave it.
- Consider taking a device that you only use for travel.
- Securely back-up data stored on your device(s) or media.
- Prepare for limited access by downloading materials for offline use.
- If traveling abroad for university-related purposes, register your travel.
During your trip
- Use a secure internet connection, such as the U-M or Michigan Medicine VPN.
- Avoid internet cafes and untrusted networks.
- Avoid plugging USB-powered devices into public charging stations.
- Keep devices close at hand or locked up.
When you return
- Change your UMICH (Level-1) password immediately upon your return.
- Scan your device for malware and viruses.
- Consider wiping your device (depending on where your travels take you).
For more information and links to helpful resources: