The Information and Technology Services (ITS) Summer Internship Program is looking for impactful projects for the 2023 cohort to invest in this summer!
As the program enters its ninth year, interns have made a difference in many areas of ITS and the Michigan IT Community through cohort projects. Some examples from previous years include:
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) website redesign pitch
- WiFi performance benchmarking for campus
- Creation of a financial snapshot with Tableau
- Developing synchronous musical performance tools using Jamulus
- Application for plant detection at the Arboretum
Interns will work on cohort projects for approximately 4 to 6 hours a week throughout the 14-week program. Cohort projects are supplemental to the intern’s departmental assignment work.
Project sponsors should be available to assist and support the cohort project team throughout the summer. While it is not required you attend every meeting they have, having presence and reliability to support the group is necessary for the group’s success. For more information regarding serving as a project sponsor, review the ITS Internship Handbook.
Definition of a project and guidelines for deliverables
- Is time bound. Interns have from May through the end of July to self-organize and complete the project.
- Is specific. The purpose of the project and its success criteria are clearly defined.
- Is measurable. In terms of its execution and what it delivers.
- Is achievable. Being too ambitious or too vague will not produce a meaningful result.
- Is relevant. The work is real and project benefits are meaningful for the project sponsor.
Cohort Project 2023 Timeline
Thursday, May 11 from 11-12 p.m.
Introduction to Cohort Projects session. Project sponsors will give a five-minute presentation about their project. The presence of the project sponsor is valued as interns who may be interested in the project can directly ask questions to gain more insight into the work they would be doing.
Tuesday, May 23 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Cohort Project Pitch Presentations. Project sponsors are invited to review the intern’s pitches and provide any feedback towards their proposed solution. If the project sponsor is unable to attend, a video recording will be sent for review.
End of June
The Internship Program planning team will facilitate mid-point check-ins with each of the cohort project teams to ensure each group is on track with their proposed timeline and deliverables.
Friday, August 11
Annual Intern Showcase. Each cohort project team will facilitate a presentation on the solution to their project and share any deliverables they came up with. At this point, the project transitions back to the project sponsor for continued work.
How to submit your cohort idea
If you are interested in submitting a cohort project idea, fill out the ITS Internship Cohort Project Proposal form by Friday, April 28 at 5 p.m. Note: all submitted ideas will be considered, but not all may be fulfilled.
Reach out to the planning team at firstname.lastname@example.org.