MCommunity groups are an important part of communications and collaboration at U-M, especially while working or learning remotely. Groups used for U-M business, such as email and providing access to resources, require proper management to prevent interruption of important work-related activities.
Be a responsible and courteous colleague by following these guidelines for managing your groups:
- Always have at least one co-owner for your group to prevent interruptions or problems if you are out of contact or leave the university.
- Renew your group each year if it is still needed. MCommunity groups must be renewed annually, or they expire. Owners receive email 90 and 30 days before a group expires.
- Transfer ownership of your groups when you change roles or leave the university.
- Make sure the group Description is filled out so others know what the group’s purpose is.
- Add only the persons who need to be in the group, and remove group members promptly when their role changes or they leave the university.
- Use privacy settings when needed to protect the members of the group. You can:
- Hide the member list from everyone except the group’s members.
- Only allow email to be sent to the group by the group’s members.
- Delete groups from MCommunity promptly when they are no longer needed.
You can see more details about group-owner responsibilities, as well as instructions for updating groups, in Managing MCommunity Groups that You Own.