Antivirus software should be installed and kept up-to-date on all of your computers—both your own and those owned by the university. MiWorkspace computers already have antivirus software installed, and it is updated automatically.
For U-M computers
Information Assurance (IA) recommends these antivirus products that are licensed for use on UM-owned computers:
- Windows 8 and 10. Use Windows Defender, which is built in to Windows 8 and 10 and is enabled by default. Note that Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection is not compatible with Windows 10.
- Windows 7. Use Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection, available for download on Safe Computing.
- Mac OS. Use Sophos Antivirus for university computers. It is compatible with Mac OS X versions 10.6 and up and can be downloaded on Safe Computing.
- Unix/Linux. Use ClamAV following the recommendations on Safe Computing.
Download links and more information on antivirus software for U-M computers is on the Antivirus for U-M Computers page on the Safe Computing website.
For your own computers
For personally owned computers, IA recommends these free antivirus products:
- Windows: Windows Defender is automatically built into Windows 8 and 10, and it is enabled by default.
- Mac OS: Sophos Antivirus for Mac Home Edition is recommended for personal Mac OS computers.
- Unix/Linux: ClamAV is an open-source antivirus option for Linux/Unix systems.
Download links and more information are on the Antivirus for Personal Computers page on the Safe Computing website.